Search

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Women pastors? Which view?


This is a response to "Q: What is the point CARM is trying to make and shouldn't women be able to preach (and be pastors)?". Out of the three views, which view do you believe is "right"? I know at RHCCC there are women pastors. I'm confused by this, and I would like to know which one I should stand up for, since I'm considering being a pastor (and I'm a girl).

First, I'd like to commend you for considering leadership in the church. We need more Christian men and women to serve God in vocational, full-time ministry! 
To answer your question directly, I will say the following (N.B. this is an excerpt from a previous post): According to the passages 1 Tim. 2:12-13; 1 Tim 5:17 and Titus 1:5-9 (i.e. passages that are discussed in the CARM post),  the issue is not if a woman can be in ministry, but rather what ministry a woman can be in. According to these passages, women can do anything from leading a Bible study, overseeing a ministry, leading musical worship, receiving formal theological training, entering into full-time paid ministry, serving as a deacon etc. BUT in terms of the SENIOR LEADERSHIP of the church (mainly rooted in the tasks of preaching and exercising authority over the church), this is a male-only office. I lean toward this view - which is the complementary view. I believe it is the most biblical-sound. However, I do realize that I work with many wonderful women pastors such as Pastor Kelly and they are VERY good at their job. So I believe women can serve in all sorts of ministry roles. But I believe the senior leadership of the church should fall upon a man's shoulders (ex. RHCCC's two senior leaders are both men). 

So where do we go from here? Here are several suggestions:
1. Keep looking through the Scriptures with an open mind and heart, especially passages such as 1 Tim. 2:12-13; 1 Tim 5:17 and Titus 1:5-9. Remember all of us - men and women - must test all our ideas and thoughts with Scripture.
2. Pray to God. Ask him to show you signs that you are called to be a pastor. The call to shepherd God's people is a distinct one; and not every person can do it well.
3. If you do decide to work within a church, stand up for having male senior leaders. They are called by God to lead the church. This is not a bad thing. It forces men to step up, and lead, protect and love the people of God (Ephesians 5:22-26). As a female pastor, you can certainly do many tasks. But I would leave the primary preaching and leadership roles to a male. God designed women to help men (Genesis 2:19). This doesn't men women can't do the job as well as men; it only means God has ordained them to have different roles and responsibilities.
4. Consider other full-time ministries other than the role of a pastor. Many of my female friends works for Christian organizations such as WorldVision and Wycliffe Bible Translators. I know others who teach at Christian universities as professors. 
5. Pastor Kelly and myself would be happy to talk to you and pray for you. Just fire an e-mail our way, and let's chat. 

[Answered by Pastor HM]