Search

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Q: Can you give me advise on what to do if you ever 'lost touch' with God?

...What i mean by that is when you feel like you don't feel the same love and affections towards God, as you did the first time you followed Him. And when you pray for Him to help you rediscover him, it seems like the best you can do seems like an 'empty prayer'. I really want to get my passion back, but I've been waiting for months
and my prayers are left unanswered. I can't even make it to church because I'm the only Christian in my family and I'm still a young teen. Please pray for me, and I need you're advice.


A:  I think your situation is something all Christian encounter at some point in their walk with God. First, I want to say although God may feel out of touch, His love for you is unwavering and is constant.

The beginning part of any relationship is often exciting and filled with love and affection, however, the after the “honeymoon” stage is over, this is when the real work begins. I think the key idea is when we choose to follow Jesus, we are in a relationship with him, and that means to make opportunities to discover everyday – whether it is reading His word, participating in Bible studies or engaging in conversations with an accountability partner. But more importantly, it also means to follow and live out His commands. I believe one of the many factors that cause Christians to feel “out of touch” with God is because not only do we not devote enough time to learning more about Him but we also shy away from living out our faith. Unfortunately, time often passes quicker then we know, and the numerous opportunities that we pass up not to live our faith causes us to grow farther away from God.

If you really want to get your passion back for God, it’s not about waiting, because the passion won’t just suddenly hit you like the wind. Rather, it’s more about doing, acting, and living! I encourage you to start immersing yourself in an environment where you can be fed in God’s word and live out the lessons that He is teaching you. I do believe you are in a challenging situation being the only believer in your family, however there are many resources that are out there that can help support you in your walk with God. There are some great resources out there that can also help you! You can visit http://splat.rhccc.ca/ to listen to podcasts of sermons that are from our Youth service, or even reading the Bible everyday (perhaps begin with John!) or other devotional books.

I will definitely pray for you and I know that when you begin to take the steps to draw yourself closer to Him, God will meet you with his overwhelming love and affection.

[answered by Bernice Nei, Agape Counselor]