Search

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Q: How do I answer my 5 year old cousin who asked me what God is?

My little cousin (around 5 years old) recently asked me what "God" is, expecting me to have an answer, and I didn't know how to answer a question like that. How do I answer something like that next time?

I [Pastor HM] asked our children's pastor, Pastor Teresa, for her guidance and here's what she suggests. Say something like this:

God is the creator of the whole wide world. God is powerful and all-knowing. God created the world and everything in it because he enjoys making things and he wanted to be with us. God created people because he can have men and women, boys and girls, with whom he could share his love. He crated the world for them to live in and enjoy.
No one knows what God looks like because God is invisible and doesn't have a physical body as we do. But we can learn about God and see what God acts like by learning about his Son, Jesus. In the Bible we can read about how Jesus lived, how he treated people, and what he taught. This is what God is like. We can also see what God does. Balloons are filled with air that we can't see but we see the balloon get big as the air is put in. Just because we can't see God doesn't mean he isn't real. Believing that God is ther even though we can't see him is faith. Someday, in heaven, we will see God face to face.

[Answered by Pastor Teresa, Children's Pastor]