Search

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Q: Evolution?

"I've been taught that the earth had been really old about billions of years and I always believed that god had created this earth. The teacher didn't really said how he earth had started cuz of diff religions believes and stuff but what struck me is that today my teacher shown us a video where they talk bout evolution of humans. I've been taught that humans exist 150 000 years ago and we humans are evolves from apes which I do not believe till I saw this video today. The scientist gave evidence where it does makes sense to me....I believe in evolution like how whales and dolphins are mammals in water cuz of evolution and also animals which are related each other. But what I'm asking in my head is about human evolution which they have evidence that we are evolved from apes.

So the question if adam and eve are the 1st human that god created, why are there evidence of human evolution? Does this mean that humans are created and animals are only the ones that evolved????

And another question....does the story in bible starts after dinosaurs extinct???? And if humans are created since the earth started then why are there no humans during the prehistoric times? Are humans wiped out b4 dinosaurs came to earth and then animals start evolving to humans again?"


I appreciate your question, as I took my biology classes and wondered the same things. I've answered this question before, but here is the
LINK again to a great resource (credit: Mars Hill Church). The author of the article answers the bulk, if not all, your questions.I recommend you read the entire document very carefully, especially the 6 views of creation.

To answer your questions briefly...

1. Christians can believe in "micro-evolution"(i.e. small changes in one species over time or "change below a species level") but
should not "accept the yet unproven and highly suspect thesis of macro-evolution that one species can evolve into another species entirely."

Also I'd recommend you get a copy of Lee Strobel's "Case for Faith" and read the chapter about macro versus micro evolution. Strobel argues that macro-evolution is only a theory with little proof.

2. Dinosaurs: "
When it comes to explaining the apparent existence and now extinction of dinosaurs there are generally two answers. Those who believe in a young earth believe that the dinosaurs were among the animals Adam named in Genesis 2:19-20 and that they were wiped out in the Flood of Genesis 6-9. Those who hold an old earth position generally believe that the dinosaurs lived and became extinct before Adam was ever born."

As a bonus (!), here is another
LINK where you can watch videos of different answers to common questions often asked about evolution (FYI: "Did dinosaurs and humans exist at the same time?" is answered in a video)

[Answered by Pastor HM]