Search

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Q: Jesus and the UFC?

"I really like watching mixed martial arts, like UFC. I know that it is violent and bloody and from my point of view, it is just a sport. The goal of the sport is to gain the upper hand. These athletes are well trained, and are not out to "kill" their opponents. And at the end of the day, each fighter respects each other. Also, the sport is highly regulated and a very experienced referee is in charge of each match. What is your opinion on this matter? I don't see the bible condeming or endorsing this activity. So I would conclude that this is a conscience issue. In fact there are many Christian fighters who are fighters and many Christian athletes in general. I would argue that God needs his people in many different places."

Great question. I, too, enjoy MMA (mixed martial arts). When I was younger, I trained in Kung Fu, and currently am a fan of GSP, Anderson Silva and big guys like Frank Mir and Fedor.

I agree with your points. MMA is a high-energy, competitive sport, like football, baseball, hockey or boxing. The bible does not condemn it. You are also correct that there there are many Christian MMA fighters. (In fact, in January, there was a "Fight with God" conference in which real fighers partnered with some of the best preachers in the country to teach fight principles that are tied directly to the Apostle Paul's teachings in scripture about spiritual battle). The great Matt Hughes and the legendary Fedor Emelianenko (who has stated that he loves attending church) are such examples. Indeed, watching or participating in MMA is a matter of the conscience.

[Answered by Pastor HM, who enjoyed UFC 107, especially the Mir/Kongo fight, but wants to see GSP back in action soon]