Search

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Q: We're supposed to read the Bible every day...how are you supposed to do that?

...Open the Bible to a random page? Use a devotion book? If so, what are some good devotion books?


A: I just have to say that your question is full of intensity and I praise God that there seems to a deep passion to read the Word and build a relationship with Him. That's very refreshing, thank you!

I wouldn't recommend to open to a random page and read from there. If you haven't read the Bible at all and you're just starting out, I'd recommend to read the Gospels first, particularly the Gospel of John. If you have done that already, go through the rest of the New Testament, perhaps starting with Acts and then reading the Epistles of Paul.

Also, try and find a Study Bible, one that doesn't just contain the Bible, but also has footnotes that explain the passages. I would recommend this one from Zondervan that's in the NIV translation or this one by Crossway Books in the ESV translation. Both provide good introductions to each book and gives historical and cultural background when necessary.

As for a good devotion, may I suggest "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers? This is a real classic. Other good authors that I like to read are Max Lucado and C.S. Lewis.

Hope this has helped your personal walk with Christ, feel free to ask your counselors or Pastors for some more suggestions or see what they're reading!


[answered by Pastor KJT]